Hidden Lake Gardens
Steven Courtney, Director
Dear Colleagues and Friends:
Thank you for inquiring about Hidden Lake Gardens through the 2008 All University Campaign. Please consider making a financial gift of support.
Nestled in the Irish Hills of Michigan, there is a 757-acre botanical garden given to Michigan State University by Harry Fee in 1945. Its name has been very appropriate for many Spartans - Hidden Lake Gardens.
Once you've visited, you'll never forget its beauty. Exit the hustle and bustle of life, and enjoy the quiet serenity of the highlights this garden has to offer.
- For those who prefer to view the attractions from the comfort of your car, there are six miles of one-way paved roads for you to travel.
- You may want to walk through the Harper Collection of Dwarf and Rare Conifers with over 500 specimens of cone-bearing plants.
- For Hosta lovers, visit the Ralph H. (Herb) and Dorothy Benedict Hosta Hillside which showcases over 300 varieties of hosta plants.
- The Demonstration Garden features many varieties of annuals and perennials as well as, All-America selections of annuals which are featured a couple of years before they are available commercially.
- The Bonsai Courtyard is a new addition that showcases over 20 trees. This new display was created in honor of Jack Wikle, HLG bonsai curator.
- The Conservatory highlights the Arid Dome, the Tropical Dome, the Temperate House and the Bonsai Courtyard.
- More than five miles of marked hiking trails provide access to the woodland area, meadows, and the glacial kettlehole.
Enjoy the beauty Hidden Lake Gardens offers you year-round. Each season offers its own breathtaking sights for you to ponder and absorb. Come and visit often.
Thank you for your support of Hidden Lake Gardens. Your gift will allow Hidden Lake Gardens to continue providing areas for quiet reflection, breathtaking sites and many educational opportunities.
Thank you in advance for your consideration. Your investment in the future of Michigan State University through a gift to the 2009 All University Campaign is most appreciated!
Steven Courtney, N.P.D.
P.S. Slow down from your hectic pace and visit Hidden Lake Gardens to soak in the beauty of each season. Your gift will help "Grow the Gardens" for all to enjoy!
Specific giving opportunities within the Graduate School in need of your support:Hidden Lake Gardens AB8431 Donate
Ralph H. (Herb) and Dorothy Benedict Hosta Endowment Fund AB8436 Donate
Harper Collection of Dwarf and Rare Conifers Endowment AB8437 Donate
Elsie MacCready Memorial Bonsai Collection Endowment AB8432 Donate
For more information, visit the Hidden Lake Gardens home page.